Study in Greece (SiG) is Greece’s national agency for the internationalization of Higher Education, promotion of Greek universities and international student services. Backed by four Ministries of the Hellenic Republic: Education, Religious Affairs and Sports, Foreign Affairs, Culture, and Tourism, SiG is fully supported by the Greek State.
In its current form, Study in Greece is a non-profit organization consisting of members from all Greek Universities. It is managed by a nine-member board of directors who are faculty members at Greek universities.
SiG vision: to make Greece a top study abroad destination by creating academic and cultural ties between Greek and international universities, faculty and researchers. We want Greece to be engaged with the world and to bring bold, brave and pioneering thinking to our greatest challenges.
SiG mission: to promote Greek higher education abroad and help Greek higher education institutions leverage the power of international education to thrive in today’s interconnected world.
SiG set of actions:
The SiG portal is a comprehensive, official resource on higher education and student life in Greece including study options, cultural activities and day-to-day practicalities. Apart from the portal, SiG developed and maintains a digital ecosystem, consisting of various digital platforms, to fully support the internationalization of higher education in Greece, facilitate networking and boost collaboration between Greek and international universities, faculty and researchers.
SiG represents Greek universities at international education fairs, and promotes Greek Higher Education through diverse promo-and-info events, roadshows and presentations organized in close collaboration with the Greek diplomatic missions, Embassies and Consulates, overseas, as well as foreign diplomatic missions in Greece. Furthermore, SiG designs and coordinates international promotion campaigns to increase awareness about Greek HE.
SiG aims to promote Greek history and culture. To this end, it organizes short-term courses which combine academic courses with cultural adventures, offering international participants the opportunity to immerse themselves in Greek history and culture. It is also the point of reference for the Greeks of the diaspora who want to find useful information about studies and educational activities in Greece, discover the Greek culture and connect with their roots.
Study in Greece is continuously expanding its international network of partner universities, foreign embassies and educational and cultural organizations, through the establishment of new cooperation agreements and MoUs, as well as the bundle of the services it offers to the Greek and the international academic community.
– Support of the internationalization and extroversion of the Greek Universities, by a wide range of activities, which include participation to international educational fairs, roadshows to international Universities, in order to promote the international study options Greece can provide. Collaboration with Greek and foreign Diplomatic Authorities, Educational Institutes, foundations and other Organizations to enhance the efforts.
– Provision of information on studying and living in Greece. The action places emphasis on the Greek universities’ programs available to international students – taught in English or other foreign languages. In addition, SiG is a unique hub of information, covering the Greek academic universe in its entirety, by providing information concerning: scholarships, educational and research activities, short-term programs, educational fairs, international distinctions of Greek academics and scholars, as well as practical information related to: accommodation, insurance, student’s communities, everyday survival, etc.
– Support and facilitation of the networking between the Greek and the international academic community – by organizing and promoting educational activities such as Study Abroad Programs, Summer/Winter Schools, summits, workshops, and conferences in collaboration with Greek Universities and other Educational Organizations, as well as by the set up of a communication framework.
– Promotion of Greek language and civilization – organization and promotion of Cultural Heritage Programs, Summer Schools & Greek language Courses.
– Consultation, by providing practical and technical advice to Higher Education Institutions, researchers and students.
– Development of electronic platforms, to fulfill the “one stop point” concept, like the “Apply To Study in Greece” – @SiG platform to support the online applications of international students, the scholarships information platform (in collaboration with the State Scholarships Foundation – IKY), platforms for accommodation and more.
– Promotion of the activities of the Greek Educational Institutes, such as Winter and Summer Schools, conferences, workshops, etc., as well as the activities of international Universities in terms of Study Abroad Programs in Greece, thus acting as a point of reference for this kind of information.
– Consultation during the planning process of the programs (helping with the itinerary, venues, lodging and transportation solutions, permissions related to museums, archaeological sites, etc.) and make the appropriate arrangements.
– Opportunities for creating contacts with Greek academics and educational organizations – always based on the program design and goals – (invite academics to teach courses, offer masterclasses, workshops, guest lectures, etc.).
– Working with Program Directors and Faculty to evaluate the programs and propose improvements in future cycles.
– Working with stakeholders to develop innovative Program components that will connect the goals and the curricula of the Programs with the modern culture, socio-economic situation, and every-day life in Greece.
– Developing side events that will support the outreach of each Program in the local/Greek community (e.g., every Program should have an open event or offer a workshop to students etc.).
– Designing community service-related activities.
– Adding and promoting the Programs through the SiG and additional portals.
– Providing support services for students such as pre-departure material, arrival meet-and-assist services, obtaining Greek telephone numbers, access to money, assistance to find accommodation, physiologic assistance, nutrition advice, etc.