The Faculty of Law, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, intends to admit up to thirty five (35) students to its graduate programme titled “European Business and Economic Law”, and invites interested parties, who have completed or are about to complete their undergraduate studies in Faculties of Law either in Greece or in other countries, to submit their applications, in the manner described below, by 30th June 2021.
Information on the programme (teaching staff, course descriptions, detailed regulations etc.) is available at: http://europeanbusiness.law.auth.gr
Brief description of the programme
This is a twelve-month programme, starting on 1st October 2021 and ending on 30th September 2022. In order to be awarded the LL.M. degree (75 ECTS overall), students are required to successfully attend eight (8) courses, i.e. two (2) compulsory and two (2) elective courses in the winter semester, and similarly two (2) compulsory and two (2) elective courses in the spring semester. They are also required to submit and present a post-graduate thesis of 15.000 to 18.000 words.
Tuition fees: 4.000 euros, payable in two instalments. Two scholarships amounting to 1.000 euros each are awarded, as a reduction of the second instalment.
Applications and supporting documents must be submitted by post at the following address:
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Faculty of Law
54124 Thessaloniki Greece
and the envelope must also bear the following notice: “LL.M. Application”.
Applications and supporting documents must be handed over by the applicant to the post by 30th June 2021 at the latest, as evidenced by the post stamp. Later applications are not admissible.
In particular, applicants will submit in the manner and at the time stated above the documents listed below. Candidates may submit simple copies of documents issued by Greek public authorities. Copies of documents issued in Greece by parties other than public authorities must be certified by an attorney-at-law. Documents issued abroad must be submitted in copies certified by an appropriate authority. Moreover, documents are accepted in Greek or English. Thus, in case they are available to the applicant in a third language, they must be translated by an authorized translator, and the applicant must submit both the document and its translation. The documents to be submitted are:
- Application to participate in the Program including the e-mail address through which the LL.M. Program Registrar will be able to communicate with the candidate.
- A photocopy of the identity card or passport.
- A copy of the undergraduate degree awarded by Law School Faculties of Greek universities or similar institutions abroad.
- A certificate of study (transcript) with the detailed grades of all undergraduate courses, including the exact grade of the degree conferred.
- A Curriculum Vitae detailing the candidate’s studies, professional experience and scientific and social activity.
- A Certificate of very good (C1 level) or excellent knowledge (level C2) of the English language, in accordance with the Council of Europe’s system, which is accepted bythe Supreme Council for Civil Personnel Selection (ASEP) in Greece. Alternatively, a diploma or postgraduate diploma from Law School Faculties of Greekuniversities or similar institutions abroad may be submitted, which proves the successful completion of an undergraduate or postgraduate program.
In addition to the aforementioned documents, the applicant shall submit the following supporting documents, if they are available:
- A diploma or diplomas of postgraduate studies conferred by a Greek university or similar institute abroad.
- Ph.D. degree from a Greek university or a similar institution abroad.
- Certificates for possible very good knowledge of French, German, Italian, Spanish or Russian. If the candidate is non-Greek, they may submit certifications of competency in Greek as well.
- Documentary evidence of any research and writing activity, participation in student mobility training programs and professional experience of a legal or related nature.
Candidates who have not obtained their undergraduate degree yet, but expect to do so, may submit the documents listed above except for the undergraduate degree. If selected, their selection will be provisional on their submitting, by 31st August 2021, the undergraduate degree, or at least a certificate from their Faculty that they have completed all requirements for obtaining the degree.
Selection procedure and criteria
- Candidates shall be evaluated in three stages: completeness review, evaluation of submitted documents, oral interview.In the first stage, the Program Registrar checks the completeness of the supporting documents and draws up a list of candidates who have submitted all the supporting documents within the allotted deadline. Any doubts or disputes shall be resolved by the Steeering Committee of the Programme (henceforth: SC).
- In the second stage, the SC evaluates the candidates according to the following criteria and according to the points mentioned below per criterion, drafting a temporary evaluation report:
- Grade average of the degree, adjusted to the ten-degree scale and subsequently multiplied by the coefficient of two and a half (2,5), with a maximum of twenty-five (25) points.
- Possession of another Master’s degree: two (2) points.
- Possession of a Doctoral degree: three (3) points.
- Research or writing activity: up to three (3) points.
- Participation in student mobility training programs: one (1) point for each such participation and up to two (2) points in total.
- Legal or related professional experience: up to three (3) points, attributing one (1) point for every two years.
- The third stageinvolves candidates who have accumulated, according to the temporary evaluation report, at least seventeen (17) points (‘eligible candidates’). For present purposes, ‘foreigners’ are defined as the candidates who, cumulatively, do not speak Greek as their native language and have not obtained a law degree in Greece or with a specialization in Greek law. Greeks are defined for present purposes as the candidates who are not foreign.
- The third stage includes an oral interview, conducted in English. The interview shall be conducted by two members of the SC, who are designated by it, and may, by decision of the SC, be conducted remotely by appropriate online means for candidates who declare to the ProgramRegistrar that they wish to do so. Applicants shall be invited to participate by the Program Registrar by any appropriate means, particularly via e-mail. Each SC member participating in the interview shall rate each candidate on a scale of zero (0) to ten (10), and the sum of the two grades shall be considered the final grade of the interview. Therefore, the interview receives a maximum of twenty (20) points. The SC may limit, proportionately for foreigners and Greeks, the number of candidates invited to an interview, in which case the participating interviewees are determined by descending order of point allocation in the temporary evaluation of the second stage.
- Twenty (20) entry positions are allocated as a matter of priority to foreign candidates(who do not speak Greek as their native language and have not obtained a law degree in Greece or with a specialization in Greek law) and the rest are available to foreign and Greek candidates indiscriminately.
- The SC shall draft a final scorecard of the candidates in descending order of performance, taking into account the preceding paragraph. In the event of a tie in the last place, a draw shall be made between the candidates before the SC.
- Successful candidates shall be informed by the Program Registrar by any appropriate means, in particular by e-mail, and shall be invited to reply in the same manner within three (3) days on whether they accept their inclusion in the Program and its operating A non-timely response on behalf of a selected candidate is tantamount to a refusal. If there are refusals, the ProgramRegistrar shall inform those immediately following in the evaluation order from the scorecard.
Queries relating to this call for applications or the programme may be sent at: .