The National and Kapodistrian University of Athens offers two (2) Merit Scholarships to students who wish to pursue the “BA program in the Archaeology, History, and Literature of Ancient Greece”, starting in fall 2021.
More specifically, each of the following educational units (departments) of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens:
- The Modern Greek Language Teaching Center
- The Foreign Language Teaching Center
is offering a Scholarship to fund exceptional applicants.
We are looking for students who are highly motivated and committed, and who will benefit from our support to fully develop their potential. These Excellence Awards are offered to assist high caliber individuals, who have a strong motivation to develop their studies in the ancient Greek History and Culture. The amount offered is a total sum of Eur 10000 paid to the students who will be selected. Nevertheless, it is not considered a full Scholarship as there will be no exemption from their financial obligations towards the program, including tuition fees, accommodation expenses in Athens, bank account commitments for a residence permit, etc.
The application starting date is the 23rd of June 2021, the closing date is the 27th of July 2021 at midnight (Greece local time: UTC/GMT +3 hours) and results will be announced by the 13th of August 2021.
The scholarships are available for new high-achieving students who meet the eligibility criteria. To apply, you must:
- Hold a non-Greek passport.
- Have completed secondary education (at least the last two years) in your country and can prove it.
- Have applied (or will apply) for the “BA program in the Archaeology, History, and Literature of Ancient Greece” for the academic year 2021-2022.
- Hold (or be expected to obtain) a High School Graduation Certificate with a first-class average grade. All applicants may support their applications by providing further evidence, e.g., prove that they are ranked at the top of their class, have high score in relevant subjects, speak foreign languages etc.
- Fill in the relevant form and upload all certified documentation required.
This is a competitive process and not all applications will be successful. A Scholarship Committee of senior members of academic/administrative staff will select the strongest applications based on the following:
- A strong academic profile as attested by a graduation diploma/certificate, the two final years’ transcript and the class rank.
- A clear statement for applying for the BA program together with a current CV.
- Knowledge of foreign languages.
- Extracurricular activities, awards, publications etc.
- Letters of recommendation.
- You must commence your studies at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens in September 2021.
- The Undergraduate Merit Scholarship 2021 is limited to one award per person.
- The Undergraduate Merit Scholarship 2021 cannot be awarded in conjunction with any other scholarship provided by any funding from an external sponsor, excluding a loan. Hence, a statutory declaration of acceptance will be made by the winner.
- If you are selected for a merit scholarship, subject to the eligibility and award criteria you will be guaranteed the award in your first year of study. The scholarship may also be available in each of the following academic years of your course on the condition that you obtain excellent marks, attend all classes, achieve a minimum of 60 credits in the previous academic year and have impeccable classroom behavior.
- If you are selected for a merit scholarship and you fail to meet the conditions of your course offer you will no longer be eligible to receive the award.
- The merit scholarship can be provided for a maximum number of 4 academic years. This does not include any intercalating years of study or years abroad.
- The decision of the Scholarship Committee is final. No scholarship applications or decision appeals will be considered.
- All decisions made by the Scholarship Committee are made in good faith. If a scholarship is awarded on the basis of predicted grades and you do not achieve your predicted grades, you are still permitted to join the BA programme. Nevertheless, the Committee reserves the right to remove the scholarship.
- This merit scholarship cannot be deferred to a future year of entry. If you decide to defer entry to another year you forfeit this award.
- The applicants consent to the disclosure of their names if they are the scholarship winners.
- If you are offered the scholarship, you will be asked to confirm acceptance of your scholarship and firm your offer within ten days.
- The National and Kapodistrian University of Athens reserves the right to review and change scholarship provision.