1 – Course subject
Since 2006 the Department of Economics of the University of Crete is successfully running its Advanced Summer School in Economics and Econometrics. The broader objective of this series of events is to provide advanced training for young researchers from all over Europe and beyond on important disciplines of economics and econometrics. The inclusion of Technical University of Dortmund as a coorganizer aims to the internalization of ASSEE and the development of multi-national culture. The Summer School follows a traditional structure: lectures in the morning and computer practical sessions in the afternoon. The specialized topic varies from year to year and reflects issues that are currently lively areas of new research and policy interest. The faculty is comprised of leaders in the field, and offers an overall coverage of the specialist area. The language used in teaching is English.
The topic of the 2019 School is on "Model Selection and Averaging in Econometrics". Bruce E. Hansen, Professor in the Department of Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA, will be this year’s Distinguished Guest Professor.
2 – Location
A beautiful, wide and endless sandy beach, picturesque little streets with old Venetian and Turkish houses, and the Venetian port and fortress make Rethymno one of the most attractive places for holidays in Greece. Rethymno combines the sea with the country, and is surrounded by mountains in the south. Its location, in about the middle of the northern coast of Crete, makes it a convenient starting point from which to visit most of the island's beauties. Within thirty minutes to an hour, the traveller can visit lakes, archaeological sites, historic monasteries, charming villages, or the wild unspoiled beauty of the south, by public bus, organised tour, or car.
3 – Duration
The 14th Advanced Summer School in Economics and Econometrics will be from July 21st to July 28th, 2019, at the University Campus in Rethymno, Crete.
4 – Fees and discounts
ASSEE tuition fees are set to 1,500 € and include:
- Accommodation for seven (7) nights (from Sunday to Saturday) including breakfast,
- Two (2) coffee breaks during classes from Monday to Friday,
- Daily lunch at the University Restaurant from Monday to Friday,
- A welcome reception on Monday evening,
- A farewell dinner in a local tavern on Friday evening,
- An excursion to Plakias on Wednesday afternoon
- An excursion to the Minoan Palace of Eleftherna and Archaeological Museum on Saturday morning,
- All teaching materials (i.e., class notes, program codes) provided by the instructor.
A 10% reduction in fees is available to the following groups:
- Current graduate students at the University of Crete
- University of Crete alumni
- Former ASSEE students
For groups of five (5) students or more we are offering a 20% discount on tuition fees.
5 – Entry requirements
The applicants for the Summer School are expected to have at least a Master's degree in economics and/or econometrics or in relevant subjects with a strong background in economics and currently be engaged in academia. Some may be chosen from outside academia (e.g., government, private sector, NGOs), if they have the minimum academic qualification and relevant experience. . In addition, participants must have a good knowledge of the English language.
All these are, however, basic guidelines, and all cases will be considered on their own merits. You do not have to prove that you have met these prerequisites, but you are responsible for ensuring you are adequately prepared for the summer course. Participants will be selected according to the following three criteria:
- Educational background
- Relevance of the ASSEE topic to student's research agenda
- Letter of recommendation
6 – Why ASSEE
- ASSEE is academically rigorous, giving you the edge in a specific field of economics and econometrics when you return to your University or your professional activity.
- During the last thirteen years, ASSEE attracts students from all over the world ensuring our summer school has a wide international focus establishing strong academic networks between students and instructors.
- Our summer school offers excellent value for money, including a unique mix of rigorous and compact academic programme and all the fun of a popular Mediterranean island.
7 – Student testimonials
VISIT OUR WEBSITE TO APPLY NOW