The Master’s program aims to
Provide academic training to graduates and executives that are eager to find employment or are already working in the fields of Shipping, Finance and Management and wish to obtain a higher level of professional development through an English speaking postgraduate program.
Offer education in the scientific areas of shipping, finance and management, in their specialized areas, to upper level managers of businesses and public and private organizations.
Provide education in the scientific areas of shipping, finance and management to students with officially recognized undergraduate degrees who wish to continue their studies in English, as well as to upper level managers of multinational corporations or organizations in Greece whose business is transacted in English.
Promote AUEB on a worldwide basis and develop cooperation with the international academic community.
Link the educational process with the specific needs of the local market and the international economy.
The Program is designed for
Highly intelligent applicants with good undergraduate studies and talent, who are ready to work hard and have the ambition to reach top positions on the executive ladder.
The MSc program offers
- Postgraduate study in an International Maritime Centre, in Greece – with the highest ownership (in tonnage) in the World and thousands of companies located here
- The opportunity to study at AUEB, a top School for Economics and Business in Greece and Internationally recognized for its quality of education, research and training
- An academic program taught by world class professors, constantly reviewed to fit the needs of the industry
- Placements of students with companies at the end of the taught part of the program
- Visits to relevant companies and organizations
- Executive guest speakers from the industry
- Access to books, major databases, newspapers, periodicals and academic journals related to shipping, finance and management
- A number of scholarships available to suitable applicants, sponsored by shipping and other companies and organisations, foundations and banks
- Academic excellence prizes, awarded to students at the end of the full and part time programs
Admissions Criteria – Application Process
The evaluation and acceptance of applicants is based on the following criteria:
- The signed printed application.
- Copies of all University Degrees / Diplomas (Recognition by the Hellenic National Academic Recognition Information Centre (DOATAP) is required)
- Official Transcripts of marks received (with certified translation in English in case the transcripts are not in Greek)
- CV in English
- Certified copy of the English language certification verifying very good command of the language (level C1, as determined by a TOEIC , IELTS or TOEFL score)
- Two recent passport size photographs
- Personal statement of approximately 500 words, in English
- Two confidential recommendation letters (for FT program academic references, for PT program from Employers)
- Proof of employment record, if any – required for part time applicants The Admissions Committee, in making a decision to offer a position to a candidate, ranks the applicants according to the above quantitative and qualitative criteria.
Terms of study
Class attendance in course units is compulsory. Students who are absent for more than 1/3 of the contact hours in a course unit will fail it and must attend it the next time it is offered. Course units are assessed with written and/or oral examinations and/or assignments. For a course unit to be examined through an oral examination and/or assignment only, it requires approval by the Special Interdepartmental Committee. The final mark of each course unit is determined by its instructor, and typically includes individual and/or team assignments. Students that fail in more than two course units per semester are considered to have failed overall and are required to leave the Program.
The submission deadline for MSc theses is October 31 of the academic year following the initial registration for full-time students, and June 15 of the second academic year following the initial registration for part-time students.
Tuition fees – Scholarships – Academic Excellence Awards
Tuition Fees The program fees for the academic year 2018-19 come to: • €7,600 for the full time program and • €8,900 for the part time program The fees may be paid in four or five instalments. The Special Interdepartmental Committee may decide to provide ease of payment terms to students with financial difficulties. Scholarships A number of scholarships available to suitable applicants, sponsored by shipping and other companies and organisations, foundations and banks Academic Excellence Awards Academic excellence awards are granted to students that excel in the program at the end of the academic year.
Governance of the MSc in ISFM
The Master’s program has been established following approval by all relevant committees and bodies of the University and by the Hellenic Ministry of Education, having satisfied all relevant requirements of a scientific Master’s program. Subsequently, it follows the postgraduate and other governance rules of the University. Decisions regarding academic, student and organizational matters are taken by the Interdepartmental Committee of the Master’s program, which meets at regular intervals during the academic year. It comprises seven (7) members; four (4) from the Department of Accounting and Finance, including the Director of the MSc program, two (2) from the Department of Management Science and Technology and one (1) from the Department of International and European Economic studies. The day to day running of the program is overseen by its Director aided by the Masters’ secretariat.
The Director of the MSc ISFM,
Prof. Manolis G. Kavussanos